New data from Samsara shows how AI and digital tools are helping tackle workforce shortage
API requests, mobile workflows and AI detections increase as digitization accelerates in physical operations
Posted: October 26, 2021 at 8:30 a.m. CDT|Update: 32 minutes ago
SAN FRANCISCO, October 26, 2021 / PRNewswire / – Connected Operations Cloud Pioneer Samsara today released new data that reveals industry organizations are turning to information from technology and AI solutions to meet the needs of a hand -work in evolution.
Organizations around the world for physical operations, including transportation, logistics and warehousing, have seen an increase in demand. During this time, labor shortage in these same industries are also at an all time high. Businesses provide financial and non-financial incentives to attract and retain rare talent throughout 2021. Now they face the added pressure of a holiday season, which experts say will further increase demand and exacerbate these existing challenges.
Using cohort analysis to monitor customer growth, Samsara analyzed aggregate data from thousands of customers to show how industry organizations are responding to demands and creating a new, more digitized workforce. The main findings of this analysis include:
- The fleets supporting physical operations are covering more ground than ever. On average, Samsara recorded more than 12 million vehicle location data points per customer in the first nine months of 2021, a 46% increase year-over-year (YOY).
- Application programming interface (API) connections help break down data silos and streamline internal processes and communication for the distributed workforce. Samsara saw a 300% year-over-year increase * in API pings to its Connected Operations Cloud. Much of these pings come and go from Samsara and various Transportation Management Systems (TMS), helping businesses streamline processes and communications related to compliance, routing and dispatch.
- Mobile workflows and digital documents allow industry organizations to train new employees faster and modernize their day-to-day experience, helping to bridge the skills gap. Samsara saw a 48% year-on-year * increase in the number of daily active users of its Driver App mobile application, as well as a 100% year-on-year * increase (i.e. doubling) in its usage. Digital Documents function.
- Industry organizations are increasingly able to leverage AI to proactively detect potential safety and security risks, automate previously time-consuming tasks, and improve employee experiences. Samsara saw a 13% year-over-year * increase in AI detections per 1,000 miles traveled from its on-board cameras, as well as a 129% increase so far this year * in AI detections from its on-site security cameras per customer.
“The era of pen and paper operations is drawing to a close as industrial organizations accelerate their adoption of new technologies,” said Sowmya Murali, Data Analytics Manager at Samsara. “Executives are using technology to shape a new industrial workforce capable of helping operations thrive, regardless of the challenges they face. At Samsara, we look forward to continuing to create the solutions they need to improve the employee experience and bring new levels of efficiency to their organizations. “
To read the full analysis of this data and get additional information, see here.
About the data
Samsara’s Connected Operations Platform collects over 2,000 billion sensor data points each year from IoT devices in various industries around the world. By organizing and analyzing these large volumes of data at scale, while taking the necessary steps to ensure complete customer privacy, Samsara’s data science team reveals insights that customers can apply to their own organizations.
- For each of the metrics produced for this article, we looked at cohorts of customers who joined Samsara prior to the period under review in order to monitor the effects of our growing customer base.
- Client cohorts varied in size, but sample sizes were large enough to produce statistically significant trends and ensure complete anonymity of the client sample.
- * YOY increases in API pings, daily active users of our Driver app, and usage of our Digital Documents feature were calculated by comparing January to September 2021 (the most recent month for which we have data) at the same time period in the previous year. The year-over-year increase in dash camera AI detections was calculated by comparing the last three months, July through September 2021, to the same time period the previous year. The increase in AI detections by site security cameras has been calculated since the start of this year, January 2021, until the last month for which we have data, September 2021.
Samsara is the pioneer of the Connected Operations Cloud, which enables businesses that depend on physical operations to leverage Internet of Things (IoT) data to develop actionable business insights and improve their operations. Samsara operates in North America and Europe and serves more than 20,000 clients in a wide range of industries including transportation, wholesale and retail, construction, field services, logistics, utilities and energy, government, health and education, manufacturing and food and beverage. Learn more about Samsara’s mission to increase the safety, efficiency and sustainability of operations that power the global economy at www.samsara.com.
View original content to download multimedia:
The above press release has been provided courtesy of PRNewswire. The views, opinions and statements contained in the press release are not endorsed by Gray Media Group and do not necessarily state or reflect those of Gray Media Group, Inc.