Daily Authority: Xiaomi Mi Band 7 Pro looks like a home run
🐕 Hi, Bogdan here in Romania. Did you know that Google Lens can identify dog breeds? Through this, I discovered the Kokoni, which is basically an unofficial breed of lovable pooches found throughout Greece. Take a minute to browse the Tag #kokoni on Instagram. You can thank me later.
Mi Band 7 Pro: The Mi-ssing link between fitness tracker and smartwatch
One of the most popular products on Xiaomi’s list is the Mi Band family of fitness trackers. It’s been around for years – cheap and cheerful, and arguably bigger than most dedicated fitness brands. Now Xiaomi is introducing the Pro version, which looks suspiciously like a smartwatch. It takes the form of a home run.
No, it’s not an Apple Watch on my wrist
- Xiaomi has a centuries-old penchant for imitation when it comes to product design.
- From the first Mi phones, to Mi Pads and Mi Books, Xiaomi isn’t ashamed to steal the look of Apple.
- The Mi Band 7 Pro looks like an Apple Watch with a narrower display and no crown.
- It doesn’t get points for originality, but honestly that won’t matter much.
What makes it Pro
- Compared to the standard Mi Band 7, you get a larger 1.64-inch rectangular AMOLED display with rounded corners.
- The Pro looks more premium, but its metallic finish hides a plastic body.
- The real improvements are inside. The highlight is the built-in GPS, which means runners, cyclists and hikers will be able to leave their phones at home.
- NFC is also a default feature – this is notable as the standard Mi Band 7 won’t have NFC on all versions. NFC enables contactless payments, one of the nicest benefits of smartwatches.
- The Mi Band 7 Pro is waterproof up to 5 ATM and can work for up to 12 days on one battery charge.
- It can track dozens of sports modes and has health features like 24/7 heart rate tracking, blood oxygen level monitoring, and sleep tracking.
- It also supports voice commands, phone notifications, find my device, and music commands.
Here’s the kicker – it’s still incredibly affordable
- Despite the big updates, the Mi Band 7 Pro is very affordable. It costs the equivalent of $56 in China.
- Even though it is more expensive in other countries (Chinese prices are among the lowest in major markets), the Mi Band 7 Pro is very competitive.
- You get most of the key features of a mid-range smartwatch, for 20-30% off the price. He’s looking at the room too.
- Xiaomi will likely struggle to keep up with demand for this thing.
- Is it a fitness tracker? Is it a connected watch? Does it even matter at this point? We are witnessing the same phenomena that we have seen with smartphones. The low end is now objectively “good enough”, while the big brands differentiate themselves with unique features and ever higher prices.
📱 Along with the Mi Band 7 Pro, Xiaomi also introduced the 12S series of smartphones. The flagship 12S Ultra features a giant 1-inch camera sensor and Leica Summicron lenses and color profiles. On paper, this is the camera phone to beat in 2022 (Android Authority).
Bogdan Petrovan, editor